06 July 2013

45 RPM: The Three Haircuts - RCA Victor 47-6149

a) You Are So Rare To Me
written by Sid Caesar
performed by The Three Haircuts with Joe Reisman & his Orchestra
Sid Caesar - M-m-mike Haircut
Carl Reiner - Pete Haircut
Howard Morris - Al Haircut

Cooked up by Sid Caesar for his NBC television show, "Caesar's Hour," The Three Haircuts (Caesar, Reiner, and Morris) was a spoof of the new "long-haired" singers, like The Three Chuckles.  Someone with NBC, who was owned at the time by the Radio Corporation of American, decided it might be a hoot to actually record this and released it!  What more can I add to this?  This is pure fun.


I must give a shout out to Gino Alfano, where ever you are, for introducing me to this record over a decade ago.  It has been a favorite ever since.  Recently, I picked up this promo along with a handful of other RCA Victor "record prevue" promos from around the same period ('53-'56) that I will be sharing with you along the way.  Stay tuned!  

b) Goin' Crazy
written by Sid Caesar and Mel Tolkin
performed by The Three Haircuts with Joe Reisman & his Orchestra
released as RCA Victor 47-6149 in June 1955

Billboard, 11 June 1955


2 Comments:

At September 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Dan Petitpas said...

Thank you for posting this. I haven't heard "Goin' Crazy" in more than four decades. I had (have) a 78 of this my mom found in a second-hand shop in the 1970s that had a stock of seemingly never played disks for making ashtrays out of (which was popular at the time.) I played it for years, but dropped it once and the record split in two. (This was the reason vinyl records were called "unbreakable.") I tried gluing it together (this was before superglue) but it left it with a huge click twice a revolution as well as paste in other places on the record itself. "You Are So Rare" is available on several compilations, and I was able to buy the track on Amazon, but I haven't found "Goin' Crazy" anywhere. Thanks for posting it!

As for the song itself, like the other Three Haircuts songs, they work both as parodies and as rock 'n' roll songs. I loved these songs as a kid and I could still sing the song years later. And now I can hear it. Thanks again!

 
At November 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Slim D said...

Thanks for posting this recording by great comedians. I still have my 45 rpm copy that I bought when it was first released. I'm pretty sure it was intended as a parody on the Crew-Cuts, who were very popular in 1955.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home